Within the Emerald Isle, a wealthy, savory Guinness stew—made with greens, beer, beef, and mashed potatoes—is widespread pub meals. I’ve been to Eire, and I like a Guinness beer each every so often. So, I funneled that Irish inspiration into a totally plant-based (vegan) model of Irish Guinness Stew, that includes tempeh and a great deal of veggies. It’s a simple, one-dish meal—excellent as a St. Patrick’s day recipe or any day of the 12 months—that’s pure consolation meals bliss. All it’s a must to do to make this Vegan Guinness Stew is to create a thick vegetable stew with carrots, onions, celery, peas, and tempeh—with a tomato and Guinness beer broth. Place the stew within the backside of a baking or casserole dish. Then mash up some potatoes shortly to “frost” the highest of the stew. Pop it into the oven to get all golden brown and melty, and you’ve got a superb one-dish meal on the desk very quickly.
Simply pair this Vegan Guinness Stew dish with a cabbage salad and also you’re set to go on your St. Patrick’s Day celebrations, or a easy one-dish meal any night time of the week. Instead, you can also make particular person small “pies” of this stew by dividing the stew and mashed potatoes amongst 4 oven-proof soup bowls or soufflé dishes. That is an absolute favourite dish in my family. My boys adore it, as they did on their first journey to Eire years in the past. In the event you’d like to vary up the components a bit, you’ll be able to attempt heirloom carrots in yellow or purple for an added little bit of coloration, and zucchini or broccoli as a substitute of the peas.
I exploit tempeh on this recipe, as it’s a fabulous plant-based protein produced from fermented soy and grain—it’s tremendous straightforward to simply cube and throw into casseroles, equivalent to this dish. You will discover it at most supermarkets. If you wish to skip tempeh, you’ll be able to merely change it with diced tofu or one canned of beans, equivalent to chickpeas, kidneys, or white beans.
Observe together with the step-by-step instructions for making this Vegan Guinness Stew recipe under.
Watch me make this recipe in my Instagram TV Plant-Primarily based Cooking Present right here.
This plant-based pub meals is a vegan tackle the traditional Guinness Stew served in Eire. Full of a tempeh, vegetable, Guinness beer stew, and topped with mashed potatoes, this Vegan Guinness Stew is the right one-dish meal for St. Patty’s Day or a simple weeknight dinner any time of the 12 months!
- 4 small potatoes (about 6 ounces every), peeled, quartered
- ¼ – 1/2 cup plant-based milk, plain, unsweetened
- 1 tablespoon dairy-free margarine
- Salt and pepper to style (optionally available)
- 2 tablespoons chopped contemporary parsley
- To make stew: Warmth oil in a a medium pot. Add onions, carrots, celery, tempeh, and peas, and sauté over medium warmth for 8 minutes.
- Add beer, vegetable broth, thyme, parsley, and tomato paste; cowl, and cook dinner over medium warmth for about 15-20 minutes, till greens are simply tender, stirring often.
- Stir flour into 1/4 cup plant-based milk in a small dish till clean. Pour into stew, and stir for a further couple of minutes, till stew is thick. Could add further water to exchange moisture misplaced to evaporation—texture ought to be moist, and thick.
- Season stew with salt and pepper as desired.
- Whereas stew is cooking, put together mashed potatoes: Place potatoes in a medium pot, cowl with water, and canopy with a lid. Boil over medium warmth for about half-hour, simply till tender however agency.
- Drain water, and mash potatoes with a potato masher, including simply sufficient plant-based milk to make a creamy texture. Add dairy-free margarine, and season with salt and pepper as desired.
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Pour stew right into a medium (about 2 1/2 quart), deep casserole dish. Prime with mashed potatoes, smoothing over floor of stew.
- Place in oven, uncovered, and cook dinner for about quarter-hour, till barely golden on prime.
- Take away from oven and garnish with chopped parsley.
*Whereas Guinness doesn’t include animal merchandise within the ingredient checklist, some (from Dublin) could use isinglass (produced from fish merchandise), which can be used within the clarification strategy of the product. Nonetheless, Guinness Further Stout brewed and bottled in North America doesn’t use isinglass. Learn these articles from Huffpost and Chicago Tribune for extra data.
To make this recipe gluten-free use gluten-free tempeh, gluten-free darkish beer, and cornstarch as a substitute of flour.
- Prep Time: quarter-hour
- Prepare dinner Time: 1 hour quarter-hour
- Class: Dinner
- Delicacies: Irish
- Serving Dimension: 1 serving
- Energy: 395
- Sugar: 8 g
- Sodium: 657 mg
- Fats: 6 g
- Saturated Fats: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 73 g
- Fiber: 10 g
- Protein: 15 g
Key phrases: beer, stew, Guinness stew, St. Patrick’s Day
Attempt a few of my different traditional one-dish, plant-based meals, together with:
Leave a Reply