Have ever questioned in regards to the dietary advantages of seitan vs tofu? Possibly you want some inspiration on learn how to use them? You’ve come to the proper place! On this submit, I’ll assessment your whole questions in regards to the dietary variations between the 2 in addition to style, texture, cooking strategies, and recipes.
Though seitan and tofu haven’t been carried in American grocery shops till the final 100 years or so, they’ve an extended historical past as an ingredient in Asian delicacies. As the recognition of plant-based diets has grown and extra folks wish to cut back their meat consumption, the recognition of vegetable protein choices like seitan and tofu has been rising.
In case you’ve got ever questioned in regards to the dietary advantages of seitan and tofu or possibly you want inspiration on learn how to use them – you’ve come to the proper place!
- Tofu is a soy product made by curdling soy milk with a coagulant comparable to nigari, magnesium chloride, calcium sulfate, or magnesium sulfate after which urgent the solids right into a block and cooling it. The longer the curds are pressed, the extra agency the tofu. The method is definitely similar to making a dairy-based cheese.
- The various kinds of tofu you discover within the retailer have completely different ranges of firmness from silken tofu to additional agency. You wish to take note of what kind of tofu a recipe requires since they don’t seem to be at all times interchangeable.
- If you’re focused on a deep dive into the historical past of tofu, I discovered this historical past of tofu submit to be fascinating.
- Look: Tofu is normally offered in a smooth, creamy white block packed in water. You’ll be able to normally discover tofu within the fridge on the retailer. Nevertheless, it can be offered in shelf steady containers.
- Style: Tofu has little to no taste which implies it may be dressed up in any variety of methods with marinades, sauces, and so on.
- Seitan (ie. “wheat meat”) is a well-liked meat substitute constructed from gluten, which is the protein contained in wheat. To isolate the gluten, wheat flour is washed to take away the starch in order that solely the gluten is left behind.
- Seitan dates again to the sixth century in historical China the place Buddhist monks created it as an alternative choice to meat. This meat various was launched to the West within the Sixties by George Oshawa the founding father of the macrobiotic weight loss program.
- Look: Seitan will not be very visually interesting because it typically appears to be like like a lightweight brown lumpy mass however it may be formed or manipulated in quite a lot of methods like slices, grounds, and so on.
- Style: Seitan has a yeasty and gentle nutty taste that works nicely in savory recipes. It has a chewy texture that may mimic the feel of meat, making it well-liked as a vegan meat substitute.
Let’s take a better have a look at the macronutrient and micronutrient composition of tofu and seitan.
Tofu (3.5 oz, 100 gram serving agency tofu)
- Energy: 85 kcals
- Carbohydrates: 2 grams
- Fiber: <1 gram
- Protein: 9 grams
- Fats: 4.5 grams
- Saturated Fats: 0.5 grams
- Calcium: 10% of the Each day Worth (DV)
- Iron: 7% DV
- Magnesium: 9% DV
- Phosphorus: 10% DV
- Potassium: 3% DV
- Folate: 5% DV
- Thiamin: 0% DV
- Choline: 5% DV
Seitan (2 oz, 57 gram serving)
- Energy: 90 grams
- Carbohydrates: 5 grams
- Fiber: 0.5 grams
- Protein: 18 grams
- Fats: 0.5 grams
- Saturated Fats: 0 grams
- Calcium: 2% of the Each day Worth (DV)
- Iron: 8% DV
- Magnesium: 6% DV
- Phosphorus: 5% DV
- Potassium: 2% DV
- Folate: 0% DV
- Thiamin: 0% DV
- Choline: 0% DV
Amino Acid Profiles of Tofu vs Seitan
Tofu is taken into account a “full protein” because it supplies all 9 of the important amino acids in related quantities to what our physique wants. Seitan supplies a adequate quantity of 8 out 9 of the amino acids. The one exception is lysine. Making ready your seitan with some chickpea flour may help add a few of the lacking lysine.
In any other case, simply be sure you rotate the varieties of plant-based proteins you eat to make sure you get all of the amino acids you want on a vegan weight loss program. Your liver shops amino acids so there isn’t a have to eat complementary proteins at every meal.
Try my vegan protein information for all the pieces it’s good to learn about plant-based protein.
Well being Advantages
Coronary heart Well being
- Each tofu and seitan are nice sources of protein but in addition low in saturated fats, sodium, and include zero ldl cholesterol. Changing meals excessive in saturated fats and ldl cholesterol like crimson meat with meals like tofu and seitan might decrease threat of coronary heart illness.
Blood Sugar Administration
- The carbohydrate content material of each tofu and seitan is low which makes them an amazing choice for individuals who want to watch their carbohydrate consumption.
Wealthy in Antioxidants
- Tofu and different soy meals are wealthy in isoflavones, that are highly effective phytonutrients with antioxidant and estrogen-like properties. There was numerous analysis into isoflavones as there was concern it could improve estrogen-receptor optimistic breast most cancers threat. Nevertheless, analysis has ruled out any concern about breast most cancers and notes that there could also be diminished threat of most cancers in those that usually devour soy meals like tofu.
Bone Well being
- Tofu is an effective supply of protein and plenty of manufacturers are supply of calcium, each of which assist bone well being. Select tofu that has been “calcium-set” if you wish to embody extra calcium into your weight loss program.
Is Seitan or Tofu More healthy?
If you’re trying to incorporate extra plant-based protein into your weight loss program, each tofu and seitan are nice vegan protein sources!
Tofu does provide some further advantages as an entire protein supply in addition to calcium, phosphorus, and antioxidants. Nevertheless many individuals love seitan as a consequence of its excessive protein content material – twice as a lot per serving than tofu.
Usually, I like to recommend consuming a plant-based weight loss program that includes numerous selection so eat each tofu and seitan! The one group that I’d counsel keep away from seitan is anybody with a gluten allergy or gluten sensitivity. The identical goes for tofu, anybody with a soy allergy ought to keep away from tofu.
My solely grievance with tofu and seitan is that they’re low in dietary fiber, however they’re simple to make use of in meals that embody different excessive fiber meals like grain bowls and stir fry.
Find out how to Incorporate into Your Food regimen
There are numerous methods to incorporate tofu in your weight loss program from tofu pudding & smoothies to stir fry and sandwiches. Experiment with all of the completely different textures of tofu which can be offered: silken, smooth, medium, agency, and additional agency. Every can be utilized in numerous methods in recipes.
Since tofu is basically flavorless, you’ll wish to add tons of taste with completely different sauces and spices. You’ll discover tofu within the fridge part of the grocery retailer or in vacuum sealed shelf steady packages within the worldwide aisle.
The meaty texture of seitan makes it substitute for hen or beef in recipes. Seitan might be served in quite a lot of methods comparable to steaks, strips, chunks, or floor.
Seitan has little or no taste so make sure that so as to add numerous spices or sauces so as to add extra taste. We love utilizing floor seitan as various to floor beef in dishes like these seitan tacos.
You will discover seitan within the grocery retailer within the refrigerated part, normally with the tofu and different plant-based meals. Many merchandise like plant-based chick’n can also be constructed from seitan, however will not be labeled as such.
You’ll be able to normally inform if a product is seitan in case you see important wheat gluten within the ingredient record. It is usually comparatively easy to make your individual seitan. Here’s a information on learn how to make seitan.
- Fridge: Retailer unopened tofu within the fridge and use it by the expiration date listed on the bundle. Opened tofu might be saved in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 3 days after opening. Cooked tofu might be saved within the fridge for as much as 3 days.
- Freezer: Tofu can be frozen, nevertheless it utterly modifications the feel from clean to chewy. The chewy texture of thawed frozen tofu makes it an amazing choice for plant-based hen like nuggets or tenders.
- Fridge: Retailer unopened seitan within the fridge and use it by the expiration date listed on the bundle. Opened seitan might be saved in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 3 days after opening. Cooked seitan might be saved within the fridge for as much as 3 days.
- Freezer: You too can freeze seitan if you wish to maintain it for as much as 3-4 months. Simply thaw within the fridge the night time earlier than you propose to cook dinner it.
Each meals are supply of plant-based protein. Seitan has twice as a lot per serving than tofu. Nevertheless, tofu has extra calcium, phosphorus, and antioxidants than seitan.
Seitan has extra protein per serving than a serving of agency tofu. One serving of seitan has 18 grams of protein which is twice as a lot protein as one serving of agency tofu which has 9 grams of protein.
No, seitan has a light yeasty taste and chewy, fibrous texture. Tofu is nearly flavorless with a clean texture.
There isn’t a cause to keep away from consuming seitan usually, nonetheless it’s a good suggestion so as to add selection to your weight loss program to make sure that you’re adequately assembly your whole nutrient wants. Seitan is low within the amino acid, lysine, so rotating with different plant-based proteins like beans, tofu, and tempeh will make sure you get all the important amino acids you want.
No, seitan is constructed from the gluten in wheat so it’s not gluten free. Due to this fact, it’s not choice for these with celiac illness or different gluten sensitivities.
Leave a Reply