Low-carb Deconstructed Stuffed Cabbage Casserole is a lower-carb model of a super-popular casserole from the early days of my weblog! This model of Stuffed Cabbage Casserole with cauliflower rice as an alternative of rice will certainly be successful with stuffed cabbage followers who need to restrict carbs.
PIN Low-Carb Deconstructed Stuffed Cabbage Casserole to attempt it later!
Within the early days of my weblog my buddy Dolores despatched me her recipe for Deconstructed Stuffed Cabbage Casserole, and it was a particular hit on the weblog, and it was one thing I typically made on the weekend within the days after I wanted issues to take to high school for lunch. Then as my focus shifted lower-carb cooking and consuming, I discussed within the recipe notes that you possibly can swap out the rice in that casserole for cauliflower rice.
And at last I attempted that variation on the recipe after and making this new Low-Carb Deconstructed Stuffed Cabbage Casserole a couple of occasions to get it proper I used to be so glad to share it on the positioning, and it was additionally an enormous hit. Anybody who likes stuffed cabbage however needs a neater option to make it that’s additionally low in carbs goes to be a fan of this stuffed cabbage casserole recipe! And cabbage goes on sale in March, so immediately I’m reminding you about this scrumptious casserole for my Friday Favorites decide this week!
This recipe does have a couple of steps in comparison with some casseroles, however after we examined the recipe we had the concept of utilizing “steam-in-the-bag” frozen cauliflower rice for that a part of the preparation, and it saved a while.
And whereas this Stuffed Cabbage Casserole has a couple of steps, it additionally makes no less than 8 servings, so there’s a lot to freeze and I really like taking a container of this tasty casserole out of the freezer and reheating it for a fast dinner. I eat mine with a little bit bitter cream on prime, get pleasure from!
What elements do you want for this recipe?
(That is ONLY an inventory of elements for the recipe; please scroll down for full printable recipe. Or should you use the JUMP TO RECIPE hyperlink on the prime of the web page, it can take you on to the whole recipe.)
- olive oil
- floor beef
- salt and fresh-ground black pepper to style
- Minced Garlic (affiliate hyperlink)
- candy paprika, ideally Szeged Paprika (affiliate hyperlink) or different Hungarian Paprika
- Sharp Hungarian Paprika (affiliate hyperlink) or sizzling paprika, or use extra candy paprika should you choose
- Dried Thyme (affiliate hyperlink)
- canned petite diced tomatoes
- canned tomato sauce (select the tomato sauce with the least sugar you could find)
- “steam within the bag” cauliflower rice (or any cauliflower rice you like)
- grated Mozzarella cheese
How is that this Stuffed Cabbage Casserole completely different from conventional stuffed cabbage?
Stuffed Cabbage is an japanese European dish the place partially cooked cabbage leaves are full of a stuffing that usually contains floor beef, rice, tomatoes, onions, and spices. On this recipe these conventional stuffed cabbage elements are layered in a casserole dish, for a much less labor-intensive model!
What should you don’t have each forms of paprika?
I really like utilizing a mixture of candy paprika and sizzling or sharp paprika for this recipe, however should you solely have one sort I’m certain it can nonetheless be tasty. I’m a fan of Szeged Paprika (affiliate hyperlink) and that’s the one I at all times use when a recipe requires paprika!
How lengthy does the Stuffed Cabbage Casserole preserve?
This recipe makes eight servings, and it’ll preserve near every week within the fridge and could be reheated within the microwave or in a pan on the range. It additionally freezes properly in a container with a tight-fitting lid.
Are you a cabbage fan?
If you happen to’re additionally a cabbage fan like I’m, take a look at Low-Carb and Keto Recipes with Cabbage for extra tasty recipes.
Making ready Elements for Deconstructed Stuffed Cabbage Casserole:
(That is ONLY a abstract of the steps for the recipe; please scroll down for full printable recipe. Or should you use the JUMP TO RECIPE hyperlink on the prime of the web page, it can take you on to the whole recipe.)
- Preheat oven and spray a big deep casserole dish with nonstick spray.
- Brown floor beef and season with salt and fresh-ground black pepper.
- Whereas beef browns, chop onion, put together garlic, and measure candy paprika, Sharp Hungarian Paprika or sizzling paprika, and Dried Thyme. Drain petite diced tomatoes.
- When the meat is browned, push it over, add extra oil if wanted, and brown onions. Then add garlic and spices and prepare dinner 1-2 minutes extra.
- Stir onion-spice combination into the bottom beef.
- Add petite cube tomatoes and tomato sauce to the beef-onion combination and let it simmer on low warmth when you put together cabbage and cauliflower.
- Chop a medium head of cabbage. You want about 10 cups chopped cabbage.
- Warmth olive oil in one other massive frying pan and prepare dinner the cabbage over medium-low warmth till cabbage is wilted and beginning to brown.
- In the meantime, prepare dinner one bundle (10.5 oz.) frozen cauliflower rice within the microwave. (The cauliflower rice will prepare dinner extra within the oven, so don’t get it too smooth at this level.)
- If you happen to choose to make use of contemporary riced cauliflower use 2.5 cups and microwave or prepare dinner in a frying pan with a little bit olive oil till it’s softened.
- Stir the cooked cauliflower rice into the bottom beef combination. Measure out the cheese.
Assembling and Baking Low-Carb Deconstructed Stuffed Cabbage Casserole:
- Within the casserole dish make a layer with half the cooked cabbage.
- Put half floor beef-cauliflower rice combination over the cabbage.
- Prime that with half the grated cheese.
- Then make one other layer of cabbage, floor beef-cauliflower rice combination, and cheese.
- Bake Deconstructed Stuffed Cabbage Casserole uncovered for about 40 minutes, or till the casserole is effervescent and cheese is melted and beginning to frivolously brown.
- Serve sizzling, and don’t be afraid so as to add a little bit bitter cream on prime like I do if that concept appeals to you!
- This freezes properly or could be made forward and saved within the fridge to be reheated through the week
Extra Low-Carb Dinners with Cabbage:
Weekend Meals Prep:
This recipe has been added to a class referred to as Weekend Meals Prep that can assist you discover recipes to prep or prepare dinner on the weekend and eat through the week!
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 lb. floor beef
- salt and fresh-ground black pepper to style
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 T minced garlic (garlic from a jar is ok for this)
- 2 tsp. candy paprika (ideally Hungarian Paprika, which regularly is available in a tin, see notes)
- 1 tsp. sharp or sizzling paprika, or use extra candy paprika should you choose (ideally Hungarian Paprika, which regularly is available in a tin, see notes)
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 14.5 oz. can petite diced tomatoes, drained right into a colander positioned within the sink
- 1 8 oz. can tomato sauce (select the tomato sauce with the least sugar you could find for low carbs)
- 1 10 oz. pkg. “steam within the bag” cauliflower rice (see notes)
- 1 medium head cabbage, chopped to make about 10 cups chopped cabbage
- 3 cups grated Mozzarella cheese (see notes)
- Preheat oven to 350F/175C. Spray a 13″ x 8″ (or related dimension) deep casserole dish with non-stick spray or mist with olive oil.
- Warmth a few tablespoon of olive oil in a big frying pan over medium-high warmth. Crumble the pound of floor beef into the pan and prepare dinner, breaking up with a turner, till the meat is properly browned, about 8 minutes. Season with a little bit salt and fresh-ground black pepper.
- Whereas the meat cooks, chop onion, mince garlic (or measure garlic from a jar), and measure the candy paprika, sharp paprika, and thyme. Drain the petite diced tomatoes right into a colander positioned within the sink.
- When the meat is completed, push it over to the facet of the frying pan, add a little bit extra oil if wanted, add the chopped onion, and prepare dinner till onion is softened and beginning to brown, about 4 minutes. Add the minced garlic and spices and prepare dinner 1-2 minutes extra.
- Stir to mix the meat and onion combination. Then stir within the drained petite cube tomatoes and tomato sauce, scale back warmth to low, and let the combination simmer when you’re getting ready the cabbage and cauliflower rice. (Take the meat combination off the warmth if all of the liquid evaporates.)
- Chop the top of cabbage to make about 10 cups coarsely chopped cabbage. In one other massive, deep frying pan warmth a few tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high warmth. Add the cabbage and prepare dinner till the cabbage is softened and beginning to brown, about 8 minutes. Season cabbage with a little bit salt if you would like.
- Whereas cabbage cooks, microwave the ten.5 oz. bundle of frozen cauliflower rice within the bundle, following bundle instructions. We cooked it 4 minutes for the model we used. (If you happen to choose to make use of contemporary riced cauliflower you may want about 2 1/2 cups. Put the cauliflower rice in microwave-safe container, cowl with cling-wrap, and prepare dinner 3 minutes. To prepare dinner on the range, you may want one other pan, or put the cabbage in a bowl and use that pan once more. Warmth about 1 T olive oil over medium-high warmth, add the riced cauliflower and prepare dinner, stirring a number of occasions, till the cauliflower is softened and among the liquid has evaporated as steam, about 4 minutes. You may additionally make The BEST Straightforward Cauliflower Rice and use a few of it to make this casserole and eat the remainder for an additional meal.)
- When the cauliflower is barely softened, stir it into the beef-onion combination. Measure out the cheese.
- Within the casserole dish make a layer of half the cabbage, half the meat-cauliflower rice combination, and half the cheese. Make a second layer of cabbage, meat combination, and cheese.
- Bake Low-Carb Deconstructed Cabbage Casserole uncovered for about 40 minutes, or till the combination is effervescent and the highest is beginning to barely brown.
- Serve sizzling. I like this with a dollop of bitter cream, attempt that should you like bitter cream.
- It will preserve within the fridge for a number of days and could be reheated within the microwave or in a pan on the range. The casserole additionally freezes fantastically to reheat later.
There are a selection of excellent spice purveyors that promote Hungarian Paprika, however for years I have been an enormous fan of Szeged Paprika (affiliate hyperlink) which could be bought on Amazon.
Utilizing the “steam within the bag” cauliflower made this straightforward, however use 2 1/2 cups riced contemporary cauliflower should you choose. I do not promote merchandise for fee on my weblog, so Birds Eye hasn’t paid me to advertise their steam-in-the-bag Cauliflower Rice and so they do not know I’m speaking about it right here!
Use roughly cheese to style. Use any white cheese that melts properly.
This recipe is a low-carb model of the Deconstructed Stuffed Cabbage Casserole recipe I obtained from my buddy Dolores a few years in the past.
Quantity Per Serving:
Energy: 346Complete Fats: 23gSaturated Fats: 10gUnsaturated Fats: 11gLdl cholesterol: 84mgSodium: 503mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 27g
Vitamin data is mechanically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I’m utilizing. I’m not a nutritionist and can’t assure 100% accuracy, since many variables have an effect on these calculations.
Low-Carb Eating regimen / Low-Glycemic Eating regimen / South Seaside Eating regimen Solutions:
This Low-Carb Deconstructed Stuffed Cabbage Casserole is an effective foremost dish for low-carb or Keto Diets and it’s additionally nice for any part of the unique South Seaside Eating regimen.
Discover Extra Recipes Like This One:
Take a look at Casserole Recipes for extra tasty casseroles like this one. You may also prefer to comply with Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest, on Fb, on Instagram, on TikTok, or on YouTube to see all the nice recipes I’m sharing there.
Historic Notes for this Recipe:
This recipe was posted in 2019. It was final up to date with extra data in 2022.
We’re a participant within the Amazon Companies LLC Associates Program, an affiliate promoting program designed to offer a method for us to earn charges by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated websites. As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Leave a Reply