This tasty Low-Carb Colcannon Recipe with Bacon is impressed by the well-known Irish potato and cabbage dish known as Colcannon! And bacon is a conventional Irish meals and it’s a terrific addition to Colcannon.
PIN the Low-Carb Colcannon Recipe with Bacon to strive it later!
This Low-Carb Colcannon Recipe with Bacon combines mashed cauliflower with cabbage, inexperienced onions, bacon, butter, and a few salt and pepper for a low-carb variation on the well-known Irish dish known as Colcannon. And despite the fact that the recipe isn’t a lot within the seems to be division, I hope you received’t let that cease you from making it in the event you’re even slightly bit Irish otherwise you like these substances.
And there’s a enjoyable story about this recipe too. Years in the past I made Pureed Cauliflower with Garlic, Parmesan, and Goat Cheese and realized that mashed cauliflower is fairly scrumptious. And shortly after that I made mashed cauliflower with cabbage and inexperienced onions for a running a blog occasion. (See the printer-friendly model of the unique recipe at that hyperlink.) After which it hung round within the archives for years and years earlier than I lastly bought motivated sufficient to enhance the horrible images.
And what impressed me to provide this recipe a make-over was the invention that there are lots of variations of Colcannon, and that it generally has bacon! I couldn’t think about why bacon wouldn’t be a scrumptious addition to this dish, and we additionally improved the recipe by cooking the cabbage and cauliflower individually after which combining them on the finish so this Colcannon Recipe is now faster to make!
What substances do you want?
(That is solely a listing of substances; please scroll down for full printable recipe. Or in the event you use the JUMP TO RECIPE hyperlink on the high of the web page, it can take you on to the entire recipe.)
Everybody who celebrates St. Patrick’s Day has most likely heard of Colcannon, the normal Irish dish the place potatoes are mashed with cabbage or kale. This recipe is a tasty low-carb Colcannon Recipe with related flavors!
What in order for you low-carb Colcannon with out bacon?
The bacon is 100% non-compulsory on this Low-Carb Colcannon Recipe! If you happen to’re not a bacon fan or simply desire a extra traditional model of Colcannon, merely miss the bacon and use two tablespoons of butter to fry the cabbage. And that can make the recipe even faster!
Serving Low-Carb Colcannon for a St. Patrick’s Day Meal:
in the event you’re making an attempt to maintain the carbs low for St. Patrick’s Day, this Low-Carb Colcannon Recipe with Bacon can be a terrific aspect dish to serve with Sluggish Cooker Corned Beef or Immediate Pot Corned Beef. I’d serve both of these with my Creamy Horseradish Sauce that’s included within the recipe!
Need extra low-carb cabbage recipes?
You’ll be able to try Low-Carb and Keto Cabbage Recipes for lots extra concepts for cooking cabbage, a lot of which might be nice for St. Patrick’s Day! And if the thought of blending cauliflower and cabbage doesn’t enchantment to you, you may’t go fallacious with Roasted Cabbage with Lemon for a low-carb aspect dish for corned beef!
Making Low-Carb Colcannon with Bacon:
(That is solely a abstract of the steps for the recipe; please scroll down for full printable recipe. Or in the event you use the JUMP TO RECIPE hyperlink on the high of the web page, it can take you on to the entire recipe.)
- Chop cauliflower, then put in a pot, add hen broth, and simmer till the cauliflower is tender.
- Whereas cauliflower cooks, minimize bacon into quick slices and cook dinner in a big frying pan till crisp.
- Drain bacon on paper towel. Reserve 1 T bacon grease and discard the remaining.
- Chop cabbage whereas the bacon cooks.
- Warmth bacon grease and 1 tablespoon butter, add cabbage and cook dinner about 10 minutes, or till it’s barely beginning to brown.
- Whereas cabbage cooks, slice inexperienced onions.
- Add inexperienced onion to the cabbage and cook dinner about 5 minutes extra.
- When the cauliflower is tender, drain effectively in a colander.
- Add bacon to cabbage combination and switch warmth to low.
- Put cauliflower again into the pot, add 2 tablespoons butter, and mash with a potato masher. (If you would like a extra pureed texture, you should use an immersion blender or hand beater.)
- When the cauliflower is mashed, stir it into the cabbage combination.
- Season to style with salt and fresh-ground black pepper and serve scorching, with extra butter if desired.
Extra Facet Dishes for St. Patrick’s Day:
- 6 items thick-sliced bacon
- 5 cups chopped cauliflower
- 4 cups hen broth (see notes)
- 5 cups chopped inexperienced cabbage
- 3 T butter, divided
- 1/2 cup finely sliced inexperienced onions (or extra)
- salt and contemporary floor black pepper to style
- Begin by chopping sufficient cauliflower to make about 5 cups of chopped cauliflower.
- Put cauliflower into in a pot, add the hen broth, and simmer till the cauliflower is kind of tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- Whereas cauliflower cooks, minimize the bacon items into quick slices and cook dinner over medium-high warmth in a big frying pan till bacon could be very crisp.
- Take away bacon with a slotted spoon and drain the bacon on paper towel.
- Reserve 1 T bacon grease from the pan and discard the remaining. (We did not wipe out the pan however you may in the event you really feel it wants it.)
- Whereas bacon cooks, chop up sufficient cabbage to make about 5 cups chop chopped cabbage.
- Warmth the reserved bacon grease and 1 tablespoon butter over medium warmth, add chopped cabbage, and cook dinner about 10 minutes, or till cabbage is barely beginning to brown.
- Whereas cabbage cooks, slice inexperienced onions.
- When cabbage is beginning to barely brown, add inexperienced onion to the pan with the cabbage and cook dinner about 5 minutes extra.
- When the cauliflower is tender, drain it effectively in a colander positioned within the sink.
- Add the bacon to the frying pan and switch warmth to low.
- Put cauliflower again into the pot you cooked it in, add 2 tablespoons butter, and mash effectively with a potato masher. (If you would like a extra pureed texture, you should use an immersion blender or hand beater.)
- When the cauliflower is properly mashed, stir it into the cabbage combination.
- Season the Colcannon to style with salt and fresh-ground black pepper and serve scorching, with extra butter so as to add the desk if desired.
This could be nice with selfmade hen inventory, however hen broth in a can or carton may also be tremendous. Or you may also use water and slightly hen taste base akin to Higher Than Bouillon.
Recipe created by Kalyn.
Quantity Per Serving:
Energy: 171Whole Fats: 11gSaturated Fats: 5gTrans Fats: 0gUnsaturated Fats: 5gLdl cholesterol: 30mgSodium: 979mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 5gSugar: 7gProtein: 9g
Vitamin info is routinely calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I’m utilizing. I’m not a nutritionist and can’t assure 100% accuracy, since many variables have an effect on these calculations.
Low-Carb Eating regimen / Low-Glycemic Eating regimen / South Seashore Eating regimen Strategies:
This Low-Carb Colcannon Recipe with Bacon is an efficient aspect dish for any low-carb food plan, together with Keto. Bacon and butter should not really helpful for the unique South Seashore Eating regimen, however in the event you’re Irish I’d actually eat this for a once-a-year deal with. And naturally you would make a model with turkey bacon and butter-flavored unfold in the event you’re strictly sticking to the principles for South Seashore!
Discover Extra Recipes Like This One:
Use Cauliflower Recipes or Cabbage Recipes to seek out extra recipes like this one. Use the Eating regimen Sort Index to seek out recipes appropriate for a selected consuming plan. You may also wish to comply with Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest, on Fb, on Instagram, on TikTok, or on YouTube to see all the great recipes I’m sharing there.
Historic Notes for this Recipe:
This recipe was initially created in 2010 for meals running a blog occasion. It was (lastly) up to date in 2023 with the choice so as to add bacon and higher directions to get it on the desk extra rapidly.
We’re a participant within the Amazon Providers LLC Associates Program, an affiliate promoting program designed to offer a method for us to earn charges by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated websites. As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Leave a Reply