This broccoli cheese casserole is made in a forged iron skillet and options our favourite noodle – orzo!
Favourite Broccoli and Cheese Casserole
Prepare for the broccoli casserole of your desires as a result of this broccoli and cheese casserole is actually that.
Made with toasted orzo, recent broccoli, and a easy cheese sauce, this casserole is the proper aspect or most important meal for any night time of the week. Plus, you solely want 1 pan so the dishes are a breeze!
Why you’ll find it irresistible!
Made in a skillet
Prepared in 35 minutes
Critically really easy!
- Orzo: as an alternative of utilizing rice or a basic noodle, we’re utilizing orzo! We love the way it tastes toasted and it pairs completely with broccoli and cheese.
- Recent broccoli: be certain that to make use of recent broccoli florets on this recipe as an alternative of frozen.
- Cheddar cheese: the cheese sauce options yellow cheddar cheese, however you possibly can swap it for white cheddar or perhaps a cheddar mix.
- Milk and Broth: 2% milk and broth are wanted to make the sauce.
- Garlic: garlic provides a lot recent and easy taste to this broccoli cheese casserole recipe.
Solid Iron Pan
The Nice Jones King Sear is our favourite forged iron pan. It’s positively definitely worth the splurge so as to add to your kitchen assortment!
Find out how to Make Broccoli and Cheese Casserole
- Cook dinner onion: warmth olive oil in a big skillet with sides. Add the onion and salt and prepare dinner for 3 minutes.
- Toast orzo: add in raw orzo and toast till golden brown.
- Add liquid: add spices and liquid to the skillet and blend to mix. Carry to a mild boil and let simmer coated for 3-4 minutes.
- Add broccoli: add within the broccoli and toss and let the combination simmer for 3-4 minutes or till virtually all of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Add cheese: add the cheese and blend till it melts and every part is mixed.
- Serve: function a aspect or vegetarian most important.
Newest Vegetarian Dinner Concepts
There isn’t a must precook broccoli earlier than cooking it on this broccoli cheese casserole recipe.
We don’t suggest freezing broccoli cheese casserole as a result of the broccoli and orzo will change into mushy as soon as thawed.
Eggs will not be wanted in broccoli casserole
The quick reply is sure you possibly can. Nevertheless frozen broccoli incorporates a better water content material than recent and cooks so much quicker so your casserole could also be a bit watery and the broccoli might overcook.
Protein: serve this casserole as a aspect subsequent to your favourite protein. Listed below are some concepts:
Salad: lighten issues up with a inexperienced salad: butter lettuce salad, hen caesar salad, or harvest salad.
Vacation Aspect: serve this casserole as a vacation aspect subsequent to your loved ones’s favourite dishes akin to smoked turkey, crockpot mashed potatoes, and sauteed inexperienced beans.
Retailer leftover broccoli and cheese casserole in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 3-5 days.
To reheat: reheat within the microwave on excessive for 60-90 seconds.
- 1.5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small white onion minced
- 1 teaspoon salt separated
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup orzo raw
- 2 teaspoons dried chives
- ¼ teaspoon floor black pepper
- 1 cup hen broth
- ½ cup 2% or complete milk
- 2 teaspoons Franks sizzling sauce
- 12- oz. broccoli florets chopped into chunk dimension items
- 1.5 cups shredded yellow cheddar cheese
Warmth a big skillet with sides over medium/excessive warmth and add the olive oil to the skillet. When the olive oil is aromatic, add the onion. Season the onion with ⅛ teaspoon of the salt and saute for 3 minutes.
Add the garlic to the skillet and sauté for an additional 1 minute earlier than including orzo to the skillet. Toss the orzo with the onion and garlic and toast the orzo for 3-4 minutes or till it begins to show a golden brown. Make sure to transfer the orzo round with a spatula fairly persistently.
Subsequent, add the remaining salt, chives, black pepper, broth, and milk to the skillet and stir. Carry the liquid to a mild boil after which flip the warmth to low and canopy the skillet. Let the orzo simmer for 3-4 minutes.
Uncover the skillet and add the chopped broccoli. Gently toss the broccoli with the orzo and canopy the skillet once more. Let the components simmer collectively for an additional 3-4 minutes or till a lot of the liquid is absorbed within the skillet.
Uncover the skillet and take away it from the warmth. Add the cheddar cheese to the skillet and stir the cheese into the orzo till it melts.
Serve the orzo instantly with freshly cracked pepper and revel in.
Ideas & Notes
- We add the broccoli later within the cooking time so it doesn’t get mushy.
- In case you nonetheless have liquid within the skillet after 6-8 minutes, go away the skillet uncovered for a couple of minutes so the liquid can prepare dinner off a bit.
Energy: 428kcal Carbohydrates: 41g Protein: 19g Fats: 21g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 6g
Images: photographs taken on this put up are by Ashley McGlaughlin from The Edible Perspective.
Leave a Reply